Sunday, June 26, 2016

That Was For You, Darlin' (Part One)

(This post originally appeared on Facebook 5/17/2010)

"...and if I try, would you catch me if I fall? " 

5/10/2010

I head down to Nashville to meet up with Erin for dinner before the BNL show at The Ryman. I meet her at my favorite haunt - SatCo - for some quick and yummy tacos before we head downtown. Through her supreme ninja skills and the idiocy of the people who never showed up in my row, we sneak Erin up to sit next to me in row K. The lovely Ingrid Michaelson plays her set (MUST check her out if you haven't before), and after a small wait, its BNL time. 

The show was amazing, as always. In a spur-of-the-moment decision, in true Nashville style, Ed calls up a man from the audience named David Mayfield who proceeds to WAIL on an inpromtu jam of the old Country Gentlemen tune "Fox On The Run". David belongs to a band called Cadillac Sky, whom the guys had seen play the night before at Station Inn in The Gulch...

After all our favorites, including a great crowd sing a long of Kenny Roger's "The Gambler", the guys take their final bows and head off. Which means, of course, Erin and I instantly head around the back of the venue to wait by the bus. And wait we did. Nearly 90 mintues of it, on an unusually chilly night. We make a few friends out of the other waiting fans, and just sit and twiddle our thumbs...

Ed was the first one out. Tosses his stuff on the bus, and comes back out to say hello. My moment was here. I'd waited nearly 5 months to show him the tattoo of his most beautiful song "When I Fall" that I had tattooed on my back just before Christmas. 


"When I Fall""When I Fall"

He was speechless. He ran his fingers over the notes as he hummed the tune to himself. I stumbled over my words, muttering about how "After 15 years of being a BNL fan I decided to make it permanent....When I Fall was my favorite song..." and he truly seemed touched by the gesture. I then mention to him that I'd never heard the song played live in any of my 14 BNL shows. Ed was shocked and exclaimed "OH fuck, we' shoulda played it then!" and looked truly remorseful. I told him he could easily make it up to me by playing it on Saturday night at the Louisville show. He couldn't agree fast enough. He pulls out his cell phone, sets a reminder to go off on 5/15 at 10am so he wouldnt forget. He then asks to take a picture of the tattoo. I felt so warm and fuzzy inside! It was amazing to think that someone who's made me so happy for long could possibly have been made happy by something I had done. Another sweet hug and pic later, Ed was gone. I couldnt stop smiling. 

Finally!
Finally!

Tyler, then Kevin, then Jim all make their way out to the bus one by one, and one by one I gave them the story and showed them. Their reaction was more than I could have hoped for. Each guy said "thank you" to me so sincerely, I couldnt have asked for more. Even a quick jab from Jim for my choice of the Treble line instead of the Bass line (haha) 

Jim was diggin' itJim was diggin' it

Tyler even felt the need to label the song, and sign my back! Silver Sharpie comes off well with makeup remover, FYI :) 

Ty felt the need to label the tattooTy felt the need to label the tattoo

My official BNL label!
My official BNL label!

I drove home that night grinning from ear to ear. Not only had I had a wonderful meet with all four guys, I'd received the official stamp of approval for my tattoo. All I could do then was wait anxiously for the next few days to pass, and for Saturday's show to arrive. 


Chan

No comments:

Post a Comment